Sunday, July 19, 2015

Unique Coffee Experiences From Around the World: Part Two

Coffee experience from Istanbul




It’s probably mundane to say my best coffee memory is from Istanbul, but it’s true. The fact that my father was Turkish and I’m partial has nothing to do with it at all. On the other hand, what does have a bearing on the matter is what comes WITH the coffee… in this case halvah, that sesame sweet with pistachios, and to crown the lot, a tiny, perfect square of loukoum, or Turkish delight. Turkish coffee isn’t for the tame: if you work at it you could probably stand a spoon in its creamy thickness. It’s dark and rich and exotic and smells of burnt beans, the aroma reaching you long before the taste. Properly made, its water is boiled three times and sugar incorporated directly during boiling. More than coffee it is a heavenly syrup, a coulis of coffee, a creamy, grainy mixture which, for me, is the king of coffees.


Coffee from Thailand




The best coffee I’ve tried in my life so far was from Chiang Mai’s coffee shop, prepared by World No.6 Latte Art Barista  It was so delicious, the taste was reach, full…oh I can’t describe this taste, it was gorgeous! I never drink coffee without sugar, but I couldn’t even think of putting sugar in my coffee from Ristr8to, I was afraid to spoil the taste…it was amazing!




Coffee from Spain





The Spanish work day is long, and the people stay up late. To me, having a coffee in the mid-morning or late afternoon is not only necessary, but part of the culture here. It is rare to find coffee to-go even in the capital, and most people will savor a cup while chatting with friends or outside in one of the many plazas. While you can get a cheap cup at any local Spanish bar, there are also many new trendy cafes all scattered through the Malasaña neighborhood offering high quality roasted beans with a hip atmosphere. Spanish coffee is strong, and I usually order the most popular cup, a “cafe con leche” (half coffee and half hot milk). Sometimes it will come in a small mug, or other times in a clear glass. This has never made much sense to me, since it’s almost impossible to hold and drink if it is scolding hot! It doesn’t matter though, it’s Spain- there’s no rush!


From: etramping com



No comments:

Post a Comment